Does Platelet and Inflammatory Readings Differ Between Chronic Heart Failure Patients‘ Groups According to NYHA Functional Classes?
It is stated in the literature that thrombosis in the chronic heart failure (CHF) patients may be caused by interaction of inflammation and platelets. The incidence of venous thromboembolism in heart failure patients is found to be the highest in the patients classified as NYHA IV. We aimed to test the hypothesis that prothrombotic state depends on inflammation. We have compared the C-reactive protein (CRP), fibrinogen concentration, platelet count (PLT), mean platelet volume (MPV) and platelet aggregation in CHF patients’ groups according to New York Heart Association (NYHA). 203 patients with CHF with reduced ejection fraction (systolic heart failure classes I‒IV according to NYHA) were included in the study. There were no statistically significant differences in fibrinogen concentration, CRP, PLT and platelet aggregation between the groups according to NYHA. The MPV was statistically significant higher in NYHA IV group than in NYHA III, NYHA II and NYHA I groups (10.86 ± 1.14 and 9.78 ± 1.21 and 9.65 ± 1.22 and 9.21 ± 0.59 respectively, p = 0.006). There was a weak correlation between CRP and PLT (r = 0.293, p = 0.010), and between MPV and fibrinogen concentration (r=0.205, p=0.012). There was a moderate correlation between MPV and NYHA (r = 0.361, p < 0.001) and between fibrinogen concentration and CRP (r = 0.381, p < 0.001). MPV rising in the patients’ groups and correlation between MPV and NYHA class, and plasma fibrinogen concentration, correlation between PLT and CRP, correlation between CRP and NT-proBNP concentration confirm, that low inflammation can take place in the MPV rising.
- Tang, L., Wu, Y.Y., Lip, G.Y., Yin, P., Hu, Y. (2016) Heart failure and risk of venous thromboembolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Haematol, 3(1), e30–44. DOI
- Ota, S., Yamada, N., Tsuji, A., Ishikura, K., Nakamura, M., Ito, M. (2009) Incidence and clinical predictors of deep vein thrombosis in patients hospitalized with heart failure in Japan. Circ J., 73(8), 1513–1517. DOI
- Sorensen, H.T., Horvath-Puho, E., Lash, T.L., Christiansen, C.F., Pesavento, R., Pedersen, L., Baron, J.A., Prandoni, P. (2011) Heart disease may be a risk factor for pulmonary embolism without peripheral deep venous thrombosis. Circulation., 124(13), 1435–1441. DOI
- Shantsila, E., Lip, G.Y. (2011) The risk of thromboembolism in heart failure: does it merit anticoagulation therapy? Am. J. Cardiol., 107(4), 558–560. DOI
- Mongirdienė, A., Kuršvietienė, L., Kašauskas, A. (2010) The coagulation system changes in patients with chronic heart failure. Medicina (Kaunas), 46(9), 642–647.
- Kaya, H., Kutay, Yıldırımlı, M., Kurt, R., Beton, O., Birhan, Yilmaz, M. (2017) Mean Platelet Volume as a Predictor of Heart Failure-Related Hospitalizations in Stable Heart Failure Outpatients with Sinus Rhythm. Acta Cardiol Sin., 33(3), 292–300.
- Yasemin, U., Budak, Kagan, H., Hakan, D. (2015) Correlation between mean platelet volume and B-type natriuretic peptide concentration in emergency patients with heart failure. Bioch Med., 25(1), 97–102. DOI
- Sansanayudh, N., Muntham, D., Yamwong, S., Sritara, P., Akrawichien, T., Thakkinstian, A. (2016) The association between mean platelet volume and cardiovascular risk factors. Eur. J. Intern. Med., 30, 37–42. DOI
- De Luca, M., Verdoia, E., Cassetti, A., Schaffer, G., Di Giovine, A., Bertoni, C., Di Vito, S.,Sampietro, G., Aimaretti, G., Bellomo, P., Marino, F., Sinigaglia, N. (2013) Novara Atherosclerosis Study (NAS) group, Mean platelet volume is not associated with platelet reactivity and the extent of coronary artery disease in diabetic patients. Blood Coagul. Fibrinolysis, 24, 619–624. DOI
- Katharina, C., Grotemeyer, A., Ralf K., Karl-Heinz G., Ingo, W. (2014) Husstedt Association of elevated plasma viscosity with small vessel occlusion in ischemic cerebral disease. Thrombosis Research, 133, 96–100. DOI
- Stumpf, C., Sheriff, A., Zimmermann, S., Schaefauer, L., Schlundt, C., Raaz, D., Garlichs, C.D., Achenbach, S. (2017) C-reactive protein levels predict systolic heart failure and outcome in patients with first ST-elevation myocardial infarction treated with coronary angioplasty. Arch Med. Sci., 13(5), 1086–1093. DOI
- Hilary, M., DuBrock, 1., Omar, F., Abou E., Margaret, M. (2018) High-sensitivity Creactive protein in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. PLoS ONE., 13(8), 1–16. DOI
- Linping, Li., Mengyi, S., Yabing, Z. (2016) Serum uric acid, NT-ProBNP and hs-CRP as biomarkers in chronic heart failure. Int. J. Clin. Exp. Med., 9(9), 18324–18331.
- Lancé, M.D., Sloep, M., Henskens, Y.M., Marcus, M.A. (2012) Mean platelet volume as a diagnostic marker for cardiovascular disease: drawbacks of preanalytical conditions and measuring techniques. Clin. Appl. Thromb. Hemost., 18, 561–568. DOI
- Dickstein, K., Cohen-Solal, A., Filippatos, G., McMurray, J.,V., Ponikowski, P., Poole-Wilson, P.A., Stromberg, A., van Veldhuisen, D.,J., Atar, D., Hoes, A.V., Keren, A., Mebazaa, A., Nieminen, M., Priori, S.,H., Swedberg, K. (2008) ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008: The Task orce or the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2008 of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur. Heart J., 29, 2388–2442. DOI
- Born, G.V.R. (1962) Aggregation of blood platelets by adenosine diphosphate and its reversal. Nature, 194, 927–929.
- Hayati, K., Hakan, O., Serkan, O., Ismail, E., Onur, C., Cengiz, B., Subhan, Y., Recai, A., Mesut, A. (2011) The prognostic value of mean platelet volume in decompensated heart failure. Emerg. Med. J., 28, 575–578. DOI
- Geeta, Y., Rashmi, K., Wahid, A., Uma, S., S., Ashutosh, K., Sharad, Ch., Ashish, A., Prabhaker, M. (2018) Platelet aggregation, mean platelet volume and plasma fibrinogen as risk factors for acute myocardial infarction. Int. J. Res. Med. Sci., 6(11), 3552–3557. DOI
- Gasparyan, A.,Y., Ayvazyan, L., Mikhailidis, D.,P., Kitas, G.D. (2011) Mean platelet volume: a link between thrombosis and inflammation? Curr. Pharm. Des., 17(1), 47–58.
- Jun-beom, L., Gyeong-Seon, K., Han-na, C. (2017) Statin and Ezetimibe Combination Therapy Decreases Mean Platelet Volume Compared to Statin Monotherapy. Journal of Stroke (JOS), 19(1), 109–110. DOI
- Khaspekova, S.G., Zyuryaev, I.T., Yakushkin, V.V., Sirotkina, O.V., Zaytseva, N.O., Ruda, M.Y., Panteleev, M.A., Mazurov, A.V. (2014) Relationships of glycoproteins IIb-IIIa and Ib content with 14 mean platelet volume and their genetic polymorphisms. Blood Coagul. Fibrinolysis, 25(2), 128–134. DOI
- Schmoeller, D., Picarelli, M.M., Paz Munhoz, T., Poli de Figueiredo, C.E, Staub, H.L. (2017) Mean Platelet Volume and Immature Platelet Fraction in Autoimmune Disorders. Front. Med. (Lausanne), 6(4), 146–150. DOI
- Puurunen, K., Hwang, S.J., O'Donnell, C.J., Tofler, G., Johnson, A.D. (2017) Platelet function asa risk factor for venous thromboembolism in the Framingham Heart Study. Thromb. Res., 151, 57–62. DOI
- Vinholt, P.J., Hvas, A.M., Frederiksen, H., Bathum, L., Jørgensen, M.K., Nybo, M. (2016) Platelet count is associated with cardiovascular disease, cancer and mortality: A population-based cohort study. Thromb. Res., 148, 136–142. DOI
- Mojadidi, M.K., Galeas, J.N., Goodman-Meza, D., Eshtehardi, P., Msaouel, P., Kelesidis, I., Zaman, M.O., Winoker, J.S., Roberts, S.C., Christia, P., Zolty, R. (2016) FACC. Thrombocytopaenia as a Prognostic Indicator in Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction. Heart, Lung and Circulation, 25, 568–575. DOI
- Mark, R., Thomas, R., Storey, F. (2015) The role of platelets in inflammation. Thromb Haemost., 114(3), 449–458. DOI
- Gros, A., Ollivier, V., Ho-Tin-Noé, B. (2015) Platelets in inflammation: regulation of leukocyte activities and vascular repair. Front. Immunol., 5(678), 1–8. DOI
- van Wezenbeek, J., Canada, J.M., Ravindra, K., Carbone, S., Trankle, C.R., Kadariya, D., Buckley, L.F., Del Buono, M., Billingsley, H., Viscusi, M., Wohlford, G.F., Arena, R., Van Tassell, B., Abbate, A. (2018) C-Reactive Protein and N-Terminal Pro-brain Natriuretic Peptide Levels Correlate With Impaired Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Patients With Heart Failure Across a Wide Range of Ejection Fraction. Front. Cardiovasc. Med., 21, 175–178. DOI
- Tang, W.H., Shrestha, K., Van Lente, F., Troughton, R.W., Martin, M.G., Borowski, A.G. (2008) Usefulness of C-reactive protein and left ventricular diastolic performance for prognosis in patients with left ventricular systolic heart failure. Am. J. Cardiol., 101, 370–373. DOI
- Aliberti, G., Proietta, M., Pulignano, I., Del Porto, F., Tammeo, A., Trappolini, M. (2010) Association between fibrinogen plasma levels and platelet counts in an outpatient population and in patients with coronary heart disease. Blood Coagul. Fibrinolysis, 21(3), 216–220. DOI