Methods for the Preparation of Blood Serum Samples in the Assessment of the Pharmacokinetics of Protein Drugs by the Example of Viscumin
Keywords:quantitative analysis; lectins; pharmacokinetics; serum; mass-spectrometry
A comparative evaluation of methods for preparing blood serum samples for determination of the lectin content of the mistletoe Viscum Album, viscumin, by high-performance liquid chromatography in combination with high-resolution mass-spectrometry detection has been carried out. Based on the results of the analysis of the lectin hydrolyzate, a specific peptide fragment with m/z 791.388 suitable for subsequent quantitative determination was selected. Isolation of viscumin from serum components was carried out without the use of specific antibodies. The study used methods employing various spin columns and the method of protein precipitation with 1% TCA (trichloroacetic acid) in IPA (isopropyl alcohol). Testing the methods of depletion of blood serum proteins was based on the determination of the degree of extraction of lectin from model serum samples. As a result of our research, we have developed a technique for the quantitative analysis of viscumin in blood serum by the most efficient method of sample preparation using the ProteoMiner spin columns. The technique allows to determine the protein concentration up to 5·10-4 mg/ml with the extraction degree (2.7 ± 0.6) %.
- Luzhnikov, E.A., Clinical toxicology. 2nd Ed., 1994, Medicine: Moscow, 256 p.
- Park, R., Kim, M.S., S,o H.S. et al. (2000) Activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1 (JNK1) in mistletoe lectin II-inducted apoptosos of human myeloleukemic U937 cells. Biochem. Pharmacol. 60 (11). 1685–1691. DOI
- Moisenovich, M., Tonevitsky, A., Agapov, I. et al. (2002) Differences in endocytosis and intracellucar sorting of ricin and viscumin in 3T3 cells. Eur. J. Cell Biol. 81. 529–538. DOI
- Moisenovich, M., Tonevitsky, A., Maljuchenko, N. et al. (2004) Endosomal ricin transport: involvement of Rab4- and Rab5-positive compartments. Histochem. Cell Biol. 121(6). 429–439. DOI
- Grossarth-Maticek, R., Ziegler, R. (2007) Prospective controlled studies on long-term therapy of ovairian cancer patient with mistletoe (Viscum album L.) extracts. Arzneimittel-forschung. 57(10). 665–678. DOI
- Leusova, N.Yu., Katola, V.M., Krylov, A.V. Phytochemistry of Viscum plants (Viscum L.) and their medical properties. (2008). Bulletin of respiratory physiology and pathology. 28. 69-73. ISSN: 1998-5029. DOI
- Lebedev, A.T., Artemenko, K.A., Samgina, T.Yu. Principles of proteins and peptides mass-spectrometry. 2012, Technosfera: Moskow. 176 p.
- Chromy, B.A, Gonzales, A.D., Perkins, J. et al. (2004). Proteomic analysis of human serum by two-dimensional differential gel electrophoresis after depletion of high-abundant proteins. J. Proteome Research. 3. 1120-1127. DOI
- Bjorhall, K., Milioti,s T., Davidsson, P. (2005). Comparison of different depletion strategies for improved resolution in proteomic analysis of human serum samples. K Proteomics. 5. 307–317. DOI
- Liu, G., Zhao, Y., Angeles, A. et al. (2014). A novel and cost-effective method of removing excess albumin from plasma/serum samples and its impacts on LC-MS/MS bioanalysis of therapeutic proteins. Anal. Chem. 86. 8336-8343. DOI
- Bio-Rad. ProteoMiner Protein Enrichment Kits. Instruction Manual. Retrieved January 28, 2019, from: https://www.bio-rad.com/webroot/web/pdf/lsr/literature/10010636D.PDF
- Thermo Scientific. Instructions. Pierce Albumin Depletion Kit. Retrieved January 28, 2019, from: https://assets.thermofisher.com/TFS-Assets/LSG/manuals/MAN0011862_Pierce_Albumin_Depletion_UG.pdf
- Bio-Rad. Instructions. Aurum Affi-Gel Blue Mini Kits and Columns. Retrieved January 29, 2019, from: https://www.bio-rad.com/webroot/web/pdf/lsr/literature/10010636D.PDF
- Nagaraj, N., Wisniewski, J.R., Geiger, T. et al. (2011). Deep proteome and transcriptome mapping of a human cancer cell line. Mol Syst Biol. 7. 548. DOI
- Welberry Smith, M.P., Zougman, .A, Cairns, D.A., Wilson, M. et al. (2013). Serum aminoacylase-1 is a novel biomarker with potential prognostic utility for long-term outcome in patients with delayed graft function following renal transplantation. Kidney Int. 84(6). 1214–1225. DOI
- Kachuk, C., Stephen, K., Doucette, A. (2015). Comparison of sodium dodecyl sulfate depletion techniques for proteome analysis by mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr A. 1418. 158–166. DOI
- Nagaraj, N., Lu, A., Mann, M. et al. (2008). Detergent-based but gel-free method allows identification of several hundred membrane proteins in single LC-MS runs. J. Proteome Res. 7(11). 5028–5032. DOI
- Wiśniewski, J.R., Zougman, A., Nagaraj, N. et al. (2009). Universal sample preparation method for proteome analysis. Nat Methods. 6(5). 359–362. DOI
- Wiśniewski, J.R., Zielinska, D.F., Mann M. (2011). Comparison of ultrafiltration units for proteomic and N-glycoproteomic analysis by the filter-aided sample preparation method. Anal. Biochem. 410(2). 307–309. DOI
- Wilffert, D. (2016). Antibody-free LC-MS/MS protein analysis of TRAIL. University of Groningen. P. 39.