Biological Activity of Alantolactones in Experiments on Cells
The results of in vitro studies demonstrate cytotoxic activity alantolactone and isoalantolactone, presented in the elecampane plant (Inula helenium) of the natural sesquiterpene lactones. These compounds show toxicity against human cancer cell lines: MS, A549, HCT116, MCF7, RD and K562. The involvement of the p53 signaling pathway in the death of tumor cells, as well as the contribution of reactive oxygen species (ROS) formation during cell death, was studied.
- Zhang, S., Won, Y.K., Ong, C.N., Shen, H.M. (2005). Anti-cancer potential of sesquiterpene lactones: bioactivity and molecular mechanisms. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Anti-Cancer Agents. 5(3), 239–249. DOI
- Marshall, J.A., Cohen, N. (1964). The structure of alantolactone. The Journal of Organic Chemistry. 29(12), 3727–3729. DOI
- Rasul, M., Khan, M., Ali, J., Li, X., Li. A. (2013). Targeting apoptosis pathways in cancer with alantolactone and isoalantolactone. Scientific World Journal. 5. – ID 248532. DOI
- Klochkov, S.G., Afanas’eva, S.V., Pushin, A.N. (2006). Acidic isomerization of alantolactone derivatives. Chemistry of Natural Compounds, 42(4), 400-406. DOI
- Mosmann, T. (1983). Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Journal of Immunological Methods. 65(1-2), 55–63. DOI
- Rampersad, S.N. (2012). Multiple applications of Alamar Blue as an indicator of metabolic function and cellular health in cell viability bioassays. Sensors. 12(9), 12347–12360, DOI
- Amaral, J.D., Xavier, J.M., Steer, C.J., Rodrigues C.M. (2010). The role of p53 in apoptosis. Discovery Medicine. 45(9), 145–152.
- Cui, L. Bu, W., Song, J., Feng, L., Xu, T., Liu, D., Ding, W., Wang, J., Li, C., Ma, B., Luo, Y., Jiang, Z., Wang, C., Chen, J., Hou, J., Yan, H., Yang, L., Jia, X. (2018) Apoptosis induction by alantolactone in breast cancer MDA-MB-231 cells through reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondrion-dependent pathway. Archives of Pharmacal Research. 41(3), 299–313. DOI
- Rasul, A., Di, J., Millimouno, F.M., Malhi, M., Tsuji, I., Ali, M., Li, J., Li, X. (2013). Reactive oxygen species mediate isoalantolactone-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells. Molecules. 18(8), 9382–9396. DOI
- Neganova, M.E., Afanas’eva, S.V., Klochkov, S.G., Shevtsova, E.F. (2012). Mechanisms of antioxidant effect of natural sesquiterpene lactone and alkaloid derivatives. Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine. 152(6), 720–722. DOI